Friday, April 20, 2012

A little taste of Prague

As I was researching information about Prague, my handy google suggester (what is that called anyway?) thought I might be interested in looking up a czech restaurant in Cary, NC.  Of course, I went right to it, and sure enough, there is a little Czech restaurant 30 minutes from my house! Last night, my best friend came to visit and we decided we would try it out.   When I called to make a reservation, I was greeted by a woman with a thick Czech accent (sounds a little like Russian or Ukrainian) and I knew this place would be authentic.  I was not disappointed.  The building itself was a quaint white house, and the walkway to the door even looked like cobblestone! They even had the Czech flag proudly displayed next to an American flag outside the window.  As we walked through the door, I felt like I had walked into a cafe in Prague.  Pictures from the Czech Republic adorned the walls and one whole wall was dedicated to a mural of the Charles Bridge.  My amazement must have been evident because the lady who led us to our table asked,  "Have you ever been to Prague?"  "No," I replied, "but I'm moving there in August!"  Her name was Klara, the person for whom the restaurant is named, and Prague is her hometown!  She taught me to say "Dobry den!" which means "Hello" in Czech (although I'm positive I did not pronounce it correctly).  I know the two Czech waitresses thought I was a crazy American by the way I took pictures of the place and asked questions.  I think I need to work on the stereotypical silly American tourist persona.  :)  We ordered the "Prague chicken and potato pancake"  which had chicken and grilled vegetables in a delicious sauce a bit like tamari.  The potato pancake is actually a traditional Czech side called bramboraky, and it is basically a fried hash brown patty with spices in it. Yum!
I definitely loved Klara's- good food, amazing environment, and a small taste of Prague! :)
Klara's Restaurant

Side view with the Czech flag

 

The Charles Bridge in Prague!

Ellen and I in Prague :)
Painting of the Prague Castle (area is over a mile long!)

We thought this was funny. :)  Not sure if I'll be back for the pig...












No comments:

Post a Comment